Understanding Your Feminine Energy Body
By Lisa Erickson
Do you feel you absorb the moods and energies of people around you? Do you find yourself mirroring other people’s emotions or opinions back to them, often without realizing it until you are out of a situation? Do you sense that you energetically anchor your family and friends, and does that sometimes become overwhelming?
These are all common experiences for many women. Our social conditioning encourages us to structure our identities around our relationships, and our role in others’ lives. But there is more at work in these experiences than simple emotional sensitivity. There are also energetic principles at work – qualities of our feminine energy bodies that impact how we experience and interact in all aspects of our lives.
What do I mean by ‘energy body’? I think of our energy body as the intermediary between our physical body and our spirit. We both receive and transmit energetic ‘data’ through our energy body. Others’ emotions and thoughts, vibrations from our physical surroundings, and messages or insights from spiritual levels of being, pass through our energy body into our physical self. Our own moods, thoughts, physical and spiritual vibrations are transmitted outward, also through our energy body. Our energy body is our energetic antenna.
Just as we have a physical anatomy, so we also have an energetic, or subtle, anatomy. Many cultures around the world have developed energy body mappings, some as part of energy healing traditions, and others as part of spiritual traditions. The most common health-based mapping is the meridian system – the basis for acupuncture, and several other alternative healing modalities. The most common spiritually-derived mappings are chakra systems, used in yoga and meditation traditions as gateways to spiritual growth and experience.
What is most helpful for women to understand is that our energy bodies differ from men’s – just as our physical bodies differ. In fact, many of our energy body differences mirror the physical differences; and just as the physical differences – particularly in our hormonal levels and patterns – influence every aspect of our health, so our energetic differences influence many areas of our lives.
The three main characteristics of women’s energy bodies are:
1) Women’s energy bodies are centripetal. Although everyone’s energy bodies both attract and emanate energy, women’s in general are more absorbent, and receptive, pulling energy in from around them. This energy may be in the form of other’s emotions and thoughts, in the form of vibrations from physical surroundings, or in the form of etheric and spiritual input. Depending on how we learn to handle this influx of energetic ‘data’, we might be exceptionally intuitive, suggestible, or just overwhelmed (many of us swing between these!)
2) Women’s energy bodies run in cycles and phases. Just as our physical bodies experience a hormonal cycle every month in our pre-menopausal years, so our energy body also flows in cycles. Our energy bodies are more centripetal, more absorbent of energy from the outside, in the days leading up to menstruation. We are more creatively oriented – expressing outwards both energetically and personally – closer to ovulation. Peri-menopause is often a time of extreme energetic swings between these two phases, as our cycle becomes less regular. Although often challenging, peri-menopause offers an opportunity for us to be reborn as wise women, with full access to both our intuitive and creative aspects.
3) Women’s energy bodies offer a unique spiritual gateway. Just as our womb is the doorway for new physical life, so the corresponding energy center – our second or sacral chakra – is a unique spiritual gateway, into Source itself. While the traditional model for spiritual enlightenment is often one based on solitary prayer and meditation, leading to a metaphysical union with Source/God, feminine spiritual traditions of all faiths have put forth an alternative, uniquely feminine path. This path is based on embodiment, and integration with all aspects of life, rooted in our connection to creation, nature, and relationship.
These energetic differences have far-ranging implications for our lives, and for our spiritual journeys, all of which I hope to explore in more detail in this column going forward. In the meantime, here is a simple meditation you can experiment with, to help you begin to connect with your feminine energy body. It is a meditation on the three ‘yin’, or receptive/feminine chakras, the 2nd (womb), 4th (heart), and 6th (third eye) centers:
• Sit quietly and center yourself with a few deep breaths.
• Place your hands gently on your pelvic area, 4-5 inches below your navel. Take a few deep breaths into your hands, imagining the air filling your pelvic area. If you like, close your eyes and visualize a beautiful light encompassing this area of your body.
• Now move your hands up to the center of your chest, right where your breastbone begins to curve. Take a few deep breaths into your chest cavity, filling it with air. Close your eyes and visualize light filling your chest.
• Move your hands to your forehead, pressing one finger a little above the midpoint of your eyebrows. Breathe into this area, and visualize a radiant light filling the entire frontal lobe of your brain.
• Repeat as many times as you like. Finish by re-centering yourself and gently opening your eyes.
You can combine this with any other meditation or devotional practice you may have. Over time, it will help you become aware of your feminine energy centers, and your overall feminine energy body. In future columns I will talk about ways to protect your energy body, clear it, work with the intuitive data that flows into you through it, and access the spiritual, creative doorway available to you.
TO check out Lisa’s blog go to www.mommymystic.wordpress.com
“To think that enlightenment only comes through wonderful experiences is to delude yourself. Yes, there are those cases when someone has a spontaneous awakening, and he or she doesn’t have a lot of karmic tendencies to see through. But that is rare. For most of us, the path to enlightenment is not rosy. We need to acknowledge this, because otherwise we’re only going to let ourselves travel toward that which feels good, that which supports our image of what the path of awakening should be. For most people, the path of awakening does have wonderful, profound moments and realizations. But it is also a gritty thing. Its not what most people sign up for when they say they want to be enlightened.
The truth of the matter is that most people who say they want awakening don’t actually want to awaken. They want their version of awakening. What they actually want it to be really happy in their dream state. And that’s okay, if that’s as far as they’ve evolved…..But the real, sincere impulse toward enlightenment is something that goes far beyond the desire to make our dream state better. It is an impulse that is willing to subject itself to whatever is needed in order to wake up. The authentic impulse toward enlightenment is that internal prayer asking for whatever it is that will bring us to a full awakening, regardless of whether it turns out to be wonderful or terrible.” -Adyashanti From his book The End of Your World
The ovaries are a powerful set of organs that most of us women do not know anything about other than that our eggs are made there. I believe that the incidents of cancer and ovarian problems would diminish significantly if we learned how to tune into the magic and power that is inherent in these jewels of our female organ system. I found these great exercises in the book The Power of Shakti…I highly recommend connecting to these powerful sources of divine feminine energy …..
In THE POWER OF SHAKTI, by Padma Aon Prakashana, he writes:
” The rich wine-red ovaries are a storage center for vast amounts of sexual energy, and also a repository of sexual traumas and repression. As the ovaries heal, life force flows into the belly and womb, which can then be directed into other parts of the body mind via the eighteen pathways to renew, vitalize, empower, and enhance your innate femininity.
More than 40 percent of a woman’s daily energy goes into the production of her eggs. Thus a woman loses her vital, sexual energy through her ovaries in the same way that a man loses energy when he ejaculates. If this energy is harnessed through ovary breathing, all this life force can be circulated to improve the health of the body, skin, and organs, increasing your life span, clearing your mind, and boosting your immune system. Ovary breathing is also a great way to open up to having full-body orgasms.”
To do this there is a simple practice called Ovary Breathing:
1. Focus on the ovaries in Yoni Mudra, hands forming a downward triangle over the ovaries.
2.Sit quietly, and do throat breathing, rasping the breath, over the throat, making an ocean-like sound, with your tongue resting on your palate.
3. Focus on the ovaries until you feel their energy expand and become warm.
4. As you breathe in, gently contract the opening to the yoni, using the muscles of the first gate, and as you breathe out relax the muscles. Use your mind, breath, and muscles to do this gently. Soon you will not need to use the muscles, and the breath and mind will do it automatically. This motion helps to draw energy into the ovarian palace, warming you up.
5. Continue, this, and begin to collect the warm energy at the ovarian place.
6. As this energy builds, you can start to breathe and circulate it into the ovarian loop, the heart loop.
7. You can also send it to the perineum, yoni, and through the gateways, one by one, with the prayers for each gateway: praise, gratitude, and compassion.
8. Finish the practice with storing and sending all the energy into the womb or ovary loops.
This practice should not be done during ovulation.
-Taken from :The Power of Shakti by Padma Aon Prakashana
Click on book image to order:
After trying the exercises please come back and post a comment on your experience…..I will be trying these exercises out myself in the park and writing a post about how I experienced it…..I just intuitively know they work and when I found them and this book I just had to share!! I just ran into a friend today who is battling ovarian cancer and I told her about these breathing techniques and her eyes lit up…..
Please visit my website at www.sensualtantrichealing.com
Many blessings to all of you on your journeys in ward and to the place of the divine…